Saturday 26 February 2011

A 'Weakness' in ENCHANTMENT

To be fair, it's a "weakness" only because of my (unrealistic) expectations!

Years ago, in one of our email exchanges, Guy Kawasaki said he couldn't help with my question about non-profit work because most of his work was in the VC and business sectors.

Though I run an information business in addition to my non-profit Foundation (plus being a heart surgeon!), I've never viewed business as needing 'enchantment' (and with my professional work, just doing my job well is enough to make me fabulously enchanting to my patients and their families!) :-)

So I *assumed* that ENCHANTMENT would have to do with stuff I could implement in my non-profit efforts, too.

This was enhanced by seeing the word "Cause" used as often, if not more, than "product" or "service".

However, the chapter on "How to Launch" that I read today was more relevant to a business launch than to enchanting a non-profit following. At least, that's my opinion, based on a decade and a half of wooing people to join my work with CHD awareness.

The use of the word "cause" throughout this chapter seems strained and artificial, and trying to apply this approach to marketing or showcasing a "cause" would very likely backfire and brand the "enchanter" as being manipulative (again, this is MY opinion).

One bit I liked was about "telling a story". And the bit that was most powerful wasn't in Guy's words, but those of Annette Simmons:

"It is faith that moves mountains, not facts. Facts do not give birth to faith. Faith needs a story to sustain it - a meaningful story that inspires belief in you and renews hope that your ideas do indeed offer what you promise. Genuine influence goes deeper than getting people to do what you want them to do. It means people pick up where you left off because they BELIEVE."

Wow!

That seemed to put into words my thoughts, feelings and dream when I set out to write my book, "47 HEARTS - How to live your dreams, with passion, purpose and persistence".

So the "weakest" section I've come across so far in ENCHANTMENT is still powerful in its impact on me as a reader.

Get the book and read it when it's published!


No comments:

Post a Comment